Only those with teaching qualifications and classroom experience can apply to become a SPELD NZ Teacher. They then receive many hours of specialist training on our NZQA-approved Level-5 programme.
All of our teachers are passionate about helping those struggling with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties. Our training equips them with highly specialised skills to work one-on-one, creating individualised learning plans that go to the heart of each client’s learning problems.
A SPELD NZ’s teacher’s programme may include:
- Multisensory approaches
- Phonic based programmes
- Repeated reading activities & games
- Comprehension strategies
- Written language activities
- Working memory activities and games
- Assistive technology and keyboard skills
- Maths and numeracy understanding
Why is SPELD NZ teaching so effective?
In 2010, we commissioned the New Zealand Council for Educational Research to find out why our methodology has such great results. Their evaluation shows that SPELD NZ teachers:
- BUILD good relationships – they understand and respect students
- CAPTURE students’ interest and motivation by using a strength-based approach
- BOOST students’ self-esteem and confidence
- ENGAGE students with learning.