People with dyslexia and other specific learning disabilities often suffer years of failure and despondency at school. You could be the one to nurture them to success.
- This NZQA-approved, Level 5 programme is for those who wish to extend their knowledge and expertise in teaching people with specific learning disabilities (SLD)
- Applicants should have a teaching qualification and a minimum of one year of classroom experience
- The 600-hour programme is mainly online with a five day face-to-face workshop in Auckland during the July school holidays
- Because of the huge demand for our services nationwide, we do give priority to applicants intending to become a SPELD NZ Teacher.
See more details and the 2022 enrolment forms below.
“The most informative and positive experience I have ever had in my teaching career of 15 years.”
The programme requires 600 hours’ participation/study activity between 14 February and 13 November. We recommend allocating (on average) 16 hours per week to complete the programme.
Read the programme overview here
The total cost of the programme TBC. (The 2021 programme was $3,220 including GST.)
SPELD NZ training subsidies may be available in some parts of New Zealand for those who intend to become registered SPELD NZ Teachers.
The training subsidy criteria and application form is available below. Please note, subsidies are only for those who are able and committed to taking SPELD NZ students. They are provided by funders to increase SPELD NZ’s teaching capacity and ease the pressure on our waiting lists. Graduates unable to take students or complete the practicum must return subisdy funding.
How to apply
Please fill in and send us a copy of:
Please also provide certified copies of:
• Your NZ teacher registration card (if applicable)
• Your teaching or related qualification
• Your NZ Passport or Birth Certificate or NZ Permanent Residency Permit
(if your overseas passport has expired, please provide a letter from NZ Immigration confirming your residency status)
• Your driver’s licence (if available)
• If you have had a name change since your qualification was issued, your Marriage Certificate/Dissolution of Marriage documentation
Applications should be received by 13 December 2021.
Please email your application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and post original documents to SPELD NZ, National Office PO Box 24-617, Royal Oak, Auckland 1345.
For all inquiries, please email email@example.com or call 028 2550 7415