People with dyslexia and other specific learning disabilities often suffer years of failure and despondency at school. You could be the one to nurture them to success.
- This NZQA-approved, Level 5 programme is for those who wish to extend their knowledge and expertise in teaching people with specific learning disabilities (SLD)
- Applicants should have a teaching qualification and a minimum of one year of classroom experience
- The 600-hour programme is mainly online with a five day face-to-face workshop in Auckland during the July school holidays
- Because of the huge demand for our services nationwide, we do give priority to applicants intending to become a SPELD NZ Teacher.
See more details below.
“The most informative and positive experience I have ever had in my teaching career of 15 years.”
The programme requires 600 hours’ participation/study activity between February and November. We recommend allocating (on average) 16 hours per week to complete the programme.
Read the programme overview here
The total cost of the 2023 programme TBC. (The cost of 2022 was $3542 incl gst.)
SPELD NZ training subsidies may be available in some parts of New Zealand for those who intend to become registered SPELD NZ Teachers.
The training subsidy criteria and application form is available below. Please note, subsidies are only for those who are able and committed to taking SPELD NZ students. They are provided by funders to increase SPELD NZ’s teaching capacity and ease the pressure on our waiting lists. Graduates unable to take students or complete the practicum must return subisdy funding.
How to apply
Please fill in and send us a copy of:
Please also provide certified copies of:
• Your NZ teacher registration card (if applicable)
• Your teaching or related qualification
• Your NZ Passport or Birth Certificate or NZ Permanent Residency Permit
(if your overseas passport has expired, please provide a letter from NZ Immigration confirming your residency status)
• Your driver’s licence (if available)
• If you have had a name change since your qualification was issued, your Marriage Certificate/Dissolution of Marriage documentation
We welcome applications for our 2023 programme. The closing date will be 28 October 2022.
Please email your application documents to email@example.com and post original documents to SPELD NZ, National Office PO Box 24-617, Royal Oak, Auckland 1345.
For all inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 028 2550 7415